Sunday, November 20, 2005

A blast from the past (mixed in with the new)

I spent the late afternoon all the way till 9 pm at a local shopping mall today.
I was hanging around there to support some students selling hand-made Swarovski crystal costume jewellery and accessories.
These students are from the school I was formerly teaching at.
I was having so much fun that I hadn't realised I spent such a long time there!

To support the students' business, I bought some of the items they made as Christmas gifts for friends.

Out of having spent at least 50 bucks, I got a free food hamper laden with chocolates and coffee-flavoured treats.
I even had a photo opportunity out of that!
Anyway, I decided to pick the biggest box of Belgian chocolates to treat the students, although I didn't know this lot of students, as I heard they had worked tirelessly in order to ensure that their experience as young entrepreneurs was fully realised.

They even sacrificed their sleep in order to make the jewellery (and may I add that they were very well made!).

Because of their admirable efforts, the students came out tops in the secondary school category, and earned a net profit of $2k over the 2 days (Sat and Sun).
They received a crystal glass trophy, which made the few of us adults related to the school very proud.
The teacher-supporters (me included) were noisier than the boys when the results were announced!
We (mainly females) were rowdier - cheering and clapping like crazy - but it was fun.

It was a wonderful experience for me especially, as I got to catch up with some of my ex-colleagues too; mutually, we were all glad to see one another!

I do miss the school-teaching days but that's because I miss the staff, since I got along so well with everyone.
And by everyone, I mean from the school cleaners and canteen operators right up to the previous Principal who has since left the school.
Those were the good 'ole days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home