Friday, April 29, 2005

Finally, I can say TGIF

The day re-started for me after another night of working on my report.
This time is was almost 5 am before I finally finished it.
Let's hope my boss actually looked at the time-stamp registered.
I had to work on other things too, but these were "small-cases" compared to the reports I have to churn out.
I gave myself a time to stop working for the day.
And I actually managed to keep to the time - and on the dot too!

I am glad that I have learnt to manage my time sufficiently and well.
At least I am realistic to know what I can or cannot do.
It had been a hectic work-week, but considering the numerous things I had to juggle with, I am pretty satisfied of what I have achieved.

In the last hour or so, I got back in touch with a friend of mine.
This friend told me she has resigned from her teaching job.
She will be heading to Europe backpacking her way around.
Then she's heading to Thailand to teach for a few months from September.
Wow.
What a brave move, considering that she has had 10 years of teaching experience.
And was commanding a good pay.
But I know from the very occasional times we got to meet previously, she did say that the remuneration does not make up for the hours and responsibilities that she had been subjected to.

I was surprised to hear that from her at this later stage, as I was feeling that way already long before she did.
Perhaps she was the more patient one, hoping that things will improve over time.
Obviously, nothing of that sort.
And this is from someone who was briefly appointed the Head of a department, before she decided to step down from that position in the end, and reverted to being a normal teacher again.
Do not get me wrong - she was perfectly capable at taking up that position.
It was just that she had no quality-time to herself after she took up the post.
And at our age, that is not healthy at all.

Even this current job of mine is not paying me what I should be getting.
If my Organisation were to be following the "market rate", I would be getting another 50% more than what I am currently being paid now.
I like my job scope in R&D.
But at the same time, the administrative aspect has also gained me the opportunity to learn how to set up a new business, not to mention gaining true friendships along the way.
The extent of how much your friends want to help you is at its most apparent when their help is sought.
Even if there is some level of monetary gain, it is not substantial enough to lure just any normal friend to want to do it.
Only a genuine friend will sacrifice time and effort, as well as go the extra mile.

What lessons to be learnt!

I am looking forward to tomorrow night. The partying begins...at long last! :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home