Sunday, July 23, 2006

Strange week

This week ended strangely.
I first had a tiff with my dad moving my stuff around at home while I was away in Hong Kong.
The strange thing was: those couple of shelves weren't even untidy in the first place.
He simply chose to relieve his 'itch' on the fingers to move my stuff, which I had painstakingly arranged in a certain order.
Needless to say, everything was in one pile, in a disorganised order now.
Grrr...!!!!!!

Next, Friday ended not so well for me at work.
My fellow (petty) colleague actually confronted me, saying that I had supposedly said something that was the wrong version of the 'story'.
From start to finish, the confrontation didn't include what I had supposedly said that made my fellow colleague upset/annoyed about, but instead, he got into a state where he threatened me with words like, "I could be nasty if I wanted to."
Sheesh.

Throughout it all, I was calm.
I stood firm and showed bewilderment about the whole incident.
I rationalised with him, telling him that whatever was possibly misinterpreted could have been said to cause an outburst between us, and then the tale-carrier could sit back in glee and watch us 'fight'.
That would have been the worst case scenario.
Not only that, I said he should've come to me for clarification first, instead of becoming all upset and annoyed the whole day, while I continued to go about my own work being unaware ('duh'!).
I added that I have nothing to gain if I were to be malicious towards him, as I still need him to impart his knowledge and experience of working in my company!
Besides, if he were to really lose his job, I would be the one who will also have to take over his duties and responsibilities, which (God forbid!) wouldn't help me at all!!!
On hearing that, he then calmed down and apologised, saying that I was right that he should've approached me for clarification first (another 'duh'!).
But not after he had thrown a couple of threats my way before that, and said it's experience that counts and not qualifications (I have higher qualifications than him, you see).

All these utterances (amongst several others) only meant one simple thing: that he is insecure about himself.

I had never thought any lesser of him although he is less qualified academically, so this was a first that I've heard from him.
Neither had I ever wanted to play 'power' games with him, which he kept mentioning too.
He also claimed that he's not a 'control freak', wanting to know everything that goes on at work (as far as I am aware, he had always wanted to know what's going on all the time).
On top of that, he said he chooses to be a loner, and it's my 'business' if I wanted to please colleagues at work (now where did that come from?!).

If all those examples do not spell insecurity on his part, then I don't know what does.

Anyway, I digress.

I went for a BBQ earlier.
I took a friend with me, as he's not much of a social person, and I thought it would be a good chance to let him sharpen his social skills and for me to observe how he interacted (or not) with people.
Even before the BBQ event, he already disappointed me by allowing me to pay for the cab fare to the BBQ venue, and to pay for the 12 cans of beer that my host had asked me (or rather suggested that my friend) to buy.
Neither did he offer to share the separate pressie that I got for my host, as it was a celebration on her getting her PhD.
All in all, it meant that I paid for everything.
Sheesh indeed.

It wasn't that my friend couldn't afford to pay.
I really do not know what he was thinking.
And to think that he ate the food there and drank the beer that I paid for too!
And that I was initially asked to pick the cheapest beer (as suggested by the gracious host).
He chose the more expensive ones instead, cuz he said he wanted to drink some of it too.

Better yet, we left the BBQ event earlier, and didn't even stay for the chicken wings to be cooked.

By the way, he was the one who was anxious to leave ...
... to find a quieter place (which we did) ...
... and to ask me (albeit indirectly) to be his steady girlfriend ...

Have a good chuckle, dear friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home