Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What a welcome back!

I went to work thinking that today was the first full month my new supporting staff has worked, so it's time to have an informal chat with him.
Before today, I had pre-arranged to have a this chat with him, to find out if he's coping ok, etc.
So I was a little surprised that he told me he was resigning.
We had worked well as a team, so I knew it wasn't me that caused his leaving.
He then shared that the new job offer is more than twice the difference we offered him, i.e. based on the salary from his last job.
I took him to see my own boss, as he was also involved in helping me hire this person previously.
Anyway, my boss and I wished him well, and he will be leaving this current job in a week's time.

I managed to cope on my job before this supporting staff came, so I guess I'll be able to cope when he's gone.
Right now, what I think is uncomfortable for me is the fact that my fellow colleague (yes, the petty one) and one of his long-standing supporting staff are openly throwing sarcastic remarks in the office.
They were probably aware that they were behaving childishly while gloating at my unfortunate situation, but it didn't seem as if they cared.

At a guess, I think they were waiting for me to break down before they eyes, but before I left the office for home earlier, I think they were already starting to wonder why I am still able to take all this so calmly.
Hey, I've taken harder knocks in life compared to this, so why would I breakdown at this small little incident?
No sweat.
And too bad for them. :o)

Having people coming and going is simply a part of life.
I just have to accept it and move on.
What is most important now is to have colleagues who will be able to understand my plight once my supporting staff leaves.

What a 'welcome back' gift for me, eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

the pay sucks that much eh? dang am i glad I din go back into education LOL

10:41 am  
Blogger seefei said...

stand tall, my fren! good dont go, better one dont come. my ex boss philosophy!

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home