Saturday, May 27, 2006

2 weeks on...

I am late at blogging again.
This time, it's 2 weeks in a row.
Well, things have continued to be busy despite my BIG deadline being over.
There are still little things to take care of, as they come trickling in like water.
And there are also other things that have cropped up unexpectedly.

Anyway, the 2 weeks have been interesting to a certain extent.
I have met up with both work associates now, and they are both nice people.
Although I have since heard some negative things about them (especially one of them), this aspect of work does not have anything to do with me, so I still regard them as nice.
I try to be fair in that way, although I am aware that our judgements may - at times - be clouded by pre-conceived ideas or knowledge.

I had to take half a day's leave on Wednesday, due to an urgent physiotherapy treatment I had to go for.
I hurt my left shoulder last Sunday, when my domestic helper decided to protect herself and not lift the heavy, glass sliding-door that came off the rails in the bathroom - at the same time - with me.
In short, she left me to do all the lifting.
It was too heavy for my already weak back, so naturally I was injured.
I didn't think much of it but it got increasingly painful as the week went by.
Hence the urgent treatment.
I was so annoyed with my domestic helper that I told her I have a good mind to charge her for my treatment.

My domestic helper is the most non-caring helper in the history of my family's hire.
And that is in spite of the fact that we decided to renew her contract for another year, although she is hopeless!
We took pity on her for the fact that if she were to re-enter this country to work again if she got sent home, she would never clear her domestic tests in a million years.
Anyway, her hopeless level extends to not knowing that my skirts come with either side or back-centred zips.
She merely assumes that all zips on skirts means back-centred positioning.
So she ironed them all in that way, and hung them up in that way too, when I first returned home permanently from the UK.
Worse still, those are my work clothes that I had been washing myself (still do), and had put out to dry myself (still do) - without her help whatsoever.
She didn't even bother to look at how I dried my clothes (especially how the skirts were hung to dry, which would give her a clue as to how the skirts should be ironed and hung).
And that is from her claims that she has had domestic work experience prior to working for us.
And not to mention that she has worked for us for 2+ years before I had returned home permanently.
I digress...

Moving on, I got to meet some important overseas visitors on Thursday.
The meeting was part of a 2-day visit for our guests, and they were here to see if they could learn some things from my workplace, and to see if there could be any possible collaboration between theirs and my organisation.
A couple of them were of the ministerial kind, and I discovered that one of them had worked with an academic supervisor I once had!
What a small world, considering that the 3 of us are from different countries!

Anyway, the meeting started off pretty normal.
It was only towards the end of the session that everyone got more involved.
And it was also then that the CEO of the visiting organisation said he was reluctant to end the conversation and he felt that things were just starting to get "cosy"!

From that meeting, we have been invited to visit them at some point.
Wow - what an invite!
If we did take up the offer (and if I were asked to go), we will be treated like royalty for sure.
I shall be keeping my fingers crossed...

2 Comments:

Blogger Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

ooooh office politics now
ooohh missy not behaving (ps: weight training great for strenghtening the back)
ooooh travelling might be store!
ooooohhhhhhh

5:13 am  
Blogger seefei said...

a dilbert in skirt and with no cartoon!! hehehe i am coming back for more!!

12:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home