Friday, April 21, 2006

Checking in at random...part 1

The past few days have been really hectic.
So hectic that I suspect I may just accidentally leave out some things I would've liked to mention here.
Anyway, a summary is grouped as follows:

Work

My deadline is looming, but I have managed to confirm that the deadline has
been exclusively extended to the first week of next month for me, even
without my request for one.

Whoopee! :o)

As for my other colleague within the same department whom I share the
workload with, he has to ask for his own extension date himself as I have
been told that date doesn't apply to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, I am eagerly awaiting my new recruited staff joining me on 08 May, so
that I am able to start training him for all the things he needs to help me do.

It's really no joke when right now, I have been dumped with doing most of the administrative work myself, along with whatever else that I am rushing out work for, in spite of the extended deadline.

My temporary support-staff has been instructed by her boss (that peer colleague of mine) not to assist me as much as possible, giving the excuse that there are too many things at his end to take care of, and she would not have the time to help me out.

And I may have mentioned several times now, that not only is he not doing what we are both supposedly sharing the workload for, but he has delegated what he should be doing to his supporting staff and the temp-staff hired (for his exclusive use).

Instead, he has been able to knock off work at 5:30pm or thereabouts, and has voulntarily taken on tasks that he doesn't need to do, but would be nice to do in order to chalk up brownie points for.

I have not uttered a word of this to my boss.

I feel that whatever the case may be, the truth would surface by itself.

Yes, I may have shared these observations with a few close colleagues of mine, but they are those who also keep things to themselves, for fear of winding up in undesirable situations otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday was a special day.

I was invited to be present at a briefing - along with other newbies who joined in the last few months - to be formally introduced to the administrative staff.

It was also a belated, informal celebration of my organisation's 1st Anniversary after that briefing, with a photo-taking and cake-cutting session, since last Friday was Good Friday - the date which my organisation started a year ago; therefore, we couldn't celebrate the occasion.

And due to scheduling problems, we didn't have this occasion till Thursday.

The flattering and embarrassing thing was the fact that I was introduced to the administrative staff first by my organisation's President, with my qualification status revealed.

Considering that I hadn't mentioned my qualification level to some of the administrative staff whom I've got to know and am already friendly with, it came as a surprise to them, of course!

But the most flattering and embarrassing thing was when we adjourned to the Staff Lounge for the cake-cutting ceremony, when I seemed to be the only one asked by the President whether I would like a slice of the cake, and with him serving me exclusively!

I wonder what the rest of the administrative staff who witnessed this had thought...scary.

Ha.

Needless to say, I was teased by some of my colleagues after.

And please - my President is a happily married man with a loving wife and kids!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week will be hectic, as I will be moving to a temporary office premise come the end of the week...sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home