Thursday, April 27, 2006

The move, part i

I've just moved into my new shared office earlier today.
I spent part of the afternoon packing up yesterday.
I didn't manage to fill 3 of the large boxes I was given.
And today, while the movers were helping me move my boxes, I was happily attending an in-house statistics course all morning.

It was after lunchtime by the time I managed to get to the new office venue.
No furniture was in order yet.
So I had to wait around for things to be sorted out, and I ended up only unpacking from 3+ pm onwards.
I was done just after 5 pm, but wanted to start clearing some work (yes, already!) before I left my new office at 8 pm.
By 6 pm, everyone else had gone.
And everyone else hadn't even finished unpacking yet.
Considering that I was unpacking everything by myself and my other fellow-colleague had 2 pairs of extra hands to help him sort things out, they sure have many things to unload.
Plus, perhaps they weren't that efficient too.
Whatever it is, as long as I can start work as soon as I step into the office in the morning, I don't care what they will be doing or want to do.
At least that much I have already ensured that I will be able to do. :o)
Meeting my deadline is more important than all these unrelated matters...

I continue to be neutral to whatever news or gossip that colleagues would like to share with me about things and people around the work place.
I am someone who is receptive to all sorts of people generally, so I know that one person's opinion of another may not be the same as mine, due to our differing personalities.
I may be able to get along well with a person, but another person may not necessarily get on as well with the same person in question.
Of course, if a person has crossed my path and offended me directly (and unreasonably), I won't hesitate to voice out my opinion about that person.
But that's because it has to do with me.

All the hearty laughs that I tend to have on the work phone when some of my colleagues share interesting jokes won't be forthcoming anymore.
That's because I warned my colleagues about the open-space concept, where everyone is in full view and within enclosed compounds.
Having said that, my personal fridge has it's own little corner now.
And to think that I was previously told my space was going to be small, and that my fridge may not be able to fit in.
It's away from everyone else's desk, since I was given the work space right at the end of the room!
To be honest, as long as I get a decent PC, a phone and a proper desk to work on, I am happy already.
In short, it means I am not about to complain about anything, unlike my fellow-colleague who said that the toilet is too far away.
Actually, it's about 25 m away.
In my view, that's nothing.
So I don't know what he's complaining about...(to be continued)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home