Sunday, April 30, 2006

The move, part ii

I am now settled in my new office.
I have identified one new skill that I need to learn.
That is, to have the ability to talk on the phone softly and yet only be heard by the person from the other end of the line!
Which is what my temporary supporting officer has been able to do.
Although she sits diagonally across me, I had not been able to hear a thing from her end when she had been speaking on the phone.
Not that I was deliberately trying to hear what she was saying.
Her voice was so low and so soft that it was amazing that the other person could hear her!

My other colleague (the complain-'king') has been at it again.
He was rather rude to me when I tried to find out a work-related situation as I was copied onto the email about it.
Since I had taken over that aspect of the work from him and his subordinate, it was in my position to follow up and to make an email-reply to the person who sent it.
That's my working style, as I feel that the original sender would appreciate some sort of response (especially when it's marked 'urgent', even if it were simply to tell the sender that the matter is being followed up).
This complain-'king' thought otherwise.
He said - in a stroppy manner - that I shouldn't be so ready to respond to every email that comes my way.
I don't do that (reply to every email), but I couldn't be bothered to tell him that.
Instead of putting him in his place about his rudeness, I merely mentioned that he appeared to be sounding stressed.
He barked back, saying that he was merely complaining to me, and wasn't stressed.
All that exchange was made early in the morning.
What a 'great' way to start the day, eh?

Anyway, he didn't apologise.
To apologise is not in his style - I found.
He had done other 'misdeeds' pertaining to work, which he didn't apologise for either (this, I was told by other colleagues).
Hence, I have been employed to help rebuild the reputation of the department (this was also what I had found out).

The complain-'king' is now aware that his head is on the line.
He will face the 'chop' if he doesn't deliver his goods with the looming deadline, now that I am sharing half of his workload.
With 2 extra pairs of hands helping him and I have none, he has been able to leave the office at 5:30 pm virtually everyday, and still complains that he is stressed!
Bearing in mind that I have been working till 8 pm in the last few weeks and still hadn't been complaining, I don't know what his problem is.

Anyway, my colleagues all know that I am working hard...doing most stuff myself, and working late.
That's because they have rung me on the phone a few times, and were trying their luck to see if they could get me after official work hours.
What luck!
Ha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

wor... testing u eh, see if u still around, what "fun" they having ....

2:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home