Saturday, March 04, 2006

Life's surprises

Another 2 weeks have gone by in a flash.
Time really passes quickly when it's a job that one enjoys.
That's not to say that I haven't had my fair share of "wars" (already!) at work.
Which, I might add, I had been unknowingly thrown into by other colleagues.

But, I have been able to hold my own, and I came out safe and sound in the end.
And those who wanted to create trouble for me ended up being the embarrassed ones.
I guess it's because I am new on the job, and some people wanted to "test" me out at work.

Sure, I may look lady-like, have few words (unless necessary), easygoing and accommodating enough, but I guess some people also thought I was weak enough to be a "pushover".
They hadn't realised that all those who have been through a Doctoral course previously are potentially able to weather most "storms" and setbacks!

Anyway, I have more or less established my position at work now.
And some people have begun to realise that I should be taken seriously than not.
In fact, I have won the respect of some of these people now.
I think they end up admiring my guts for making a firm stand!

Anyway, that's just one of life's surprises.
My sweet someone and I have decided to take a break in our relationship.
The situation with him now isn't a bed of roses.
He will be out of a job come end of the month, despite having slogged for the present company in the last 3 years.
The thing is: his company has been bought over by another, larger company in a similar trade.
And since the larger company has already had its own worldwide operations in place, my sweet someone's company has been downsizing its staff or letting each of them go.
To go from almost getting promoted before the company's sell-out to being jobless is such a blow to anyone, especially for a man!
So, we both mutually agreed that he needs time to sort out his life and to determine what steps he wants to take in his life.

Of course, it was a painful decision for the both of us, but we are so alike that we understand this needs to happen.
And if we are meant to be together again in time to come, we are sure we will.
But for now, the relationship will have to take a back seat.

From my own standpoint, I fully understand his situation.
Not knowing what's in store when faced with a jobless situation is rather daunting.
Especially when my sweet someone is actually in his late 30s.
Suffering from so much work-related stress in his line of work has taken a toll on his mental state too.
He is suffering from insomnia and lethargy, although he has always been one who can go out like a light when his head hits the pillow!

I can say that I am the only person who is closest to him right now.
This is because his own friends have stopped keeping in touch with him with all the frequent travelling he had to do on his job.
I have made it clear that despite the break in our relationship, he mustn't lose the closeness that we have shared in terms of understanding each other.
He is an orphan, and not being close to his siblings, he needs a person who understands him well to be by his side in such difficult times.
For me, whatever happens to us in the future will be a separate matter altogether.

To my dear friends out there, I am sad but fine right now.
I will be very grateful as long as you keep me in your thoughts and prayers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home