Sunday, September 18, 2005

::: R.O.D. :::

Today is rather significant for me.
In fact, I should say the end of today is significant.
Oh, what the hell. :o)
It's my last official day of my work-contract.
While I'm still trying to finish up my big piece of work (amongst other little ones), I can't help but think that with my departure, there will be a handful of people who will miss me, albeit in different ways.
A few of these people I will still keep in touch with, while some others ... let's just say I won't really miss them.

There's one work associate in particular whom I can think of, who will miss someone (me) helping him out in his work that he should have been doing anyway.
Though in different companies, we have had the chance to work on projects together.
We have had different roles to play in these projects, except that I ended up working on his as well.
For instance, he does not have the habit of taking minutes of meetings.
I do, and so, for the same meetings that we attended so far, he would be asking for my notes.
This request, I had entertained a couple of times.
But as time went on, it became exceedingly regular.
And this is in spite of the fact that I had politely and repeatedly suggested that he should take his own notes during meetings.

I had then decided enough was enough.

On the next occasion that my notes were asked for, I said I only noted issues that my company had to address, which meant it was of no use to him.
On subsequent occasions, I said I would have to ask my boss for permission, since he was/is generally known to be quite sticky about such things.

The last straw came, regarding a huge chunk of data that this work associate and I had both received over a span of 2 months for a project.
While I had religiously and carefully read each digital file (this included opening tons of word documents and image files to read/view) that came in and sorted them out accordingly, he did nothing.
All this took quite easily up to a month for me to sort out into some sensible order!
And guess what my work associate said?
He said since I've already sorted them out, why don't I send him what I have.

He said it would save him time thinking up names for folders and opening up/reading all the data received so far (there were at least a hundred digital files!).

I calmly explained to him that the way I've sorted out the data, some folders would contain the same set of data.
And since my role for this project was to evaluate the data, repeating/overlapping of data in some folders would be inevitable.
I also mentioned that the folders/files were so huge that it would be impossible for me to send them all to him.

It would take him too long a time to download too.
I offered to help him by suggesting how he could sort out the data.
(I did it at a later time by emailing him my suggestions.)
That ended the conversation and future requests.

OK - will continue with more interesting stuff after today's been and gone.
Meanwhile, back to work for me! :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home