Thursday, September 22, 2005

The job

I have been busy in the past few days.
Actually, I foresee myself continuing to be busy for the next week or so.
You see, I have been asking my various groups of friends to recommend someone who can provide me with some legal advice.
This is in preparation for my talk with my now ex-boss.

Why? You may ask.

Ah well, my ex-company has decided that they are not releasing my August and up to mid-September pay.
They did not inform me of that intent, at least not the fact that they weren't going to pay me for the month of August.
So, a few days after September month had started, I rang up the accountant to enquire about this.
She revealed that she had not received any reply from my company about releasing my August month pay; she had sent an email-reminder too.
I know - I am disappointed too, not to say amazed that such a thing can happen.
For some reason, it looks as if the Board of Directors have forgotten what a contract is.
Based on the terms of my contract, I was to expect a monthly pay-check as a full-time employee!

The thing is: when I resigned last month, my company slapped on a list of things I needed to do for them a day after.
And they said they would only pay me if my deliverables were up to THEIR standard.
I didn't think anything of it, other than in the time I was employed till the last day of contract, I'll do what I've been asked to do.
And of course, I did, making sure that I do not produce shoddy work.

I was also mentally prepared that on entering the business world, I may be subjected to ridiculous situations.
The last thing I imagined was that my company would stoop so low as to use the strategy of criticising my work just to get out of paying what's due to me.
And by that, I mean my travel expenses too, which they have also not released.
Bearing in mind I had worked up to 4 or 5 am in the final 2 weeks before my contract ended, just to produce substantial amount of work they had wanted, I am not impressed with these people.

Technically, whether the work is really up to standard or not, they should not be withholding my pay.
As long as my contract was not on project-by-project basis - in which case the deliverables would be the pre-requisite for payment - my company has already broken the terms stated on my contract.
Simple as that.

I will be meeting a lawyer in the morning to talk about what course of action I should take next.
Will keep you guys reading posted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home