Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The interview

I have only had the time to breathe properly now.
Yesterday continued to be hectic, what with attending my 2nd round of interview and all.
Which, incidentally, became TWO rounds in a row.
The 2nd round with the HR personnel went well, and at the end, she had excused herself for 5 minutes to chat with my previous first interviewer.
But, she came back with the news that the big boss decided he wanted to meet me.
And apologised that I might not have been mentally prepared to do that.
I said I was fine (I actually was), and proceeded to chat with the man himself.
He was firing one tough question after another, and even he himself said he would be asking tough questions.
Some of them I answered well enough (I think), but others were questionable.
This is because some of the questions require time to think, like, how would you propose to train first-time managers if you were given a clean slate to begin with, taking into consideration the lack of resources?
In no particular order, I listed the various things I would include into the training.
And one a couple of occasions, he challenged some of the things I had said (albeit in a nice and polite way).
I can't remember what my response was, except that all this is my personal opinion, and anyway, the views may be subjective.

On reflection, although I handled the pressure of the impromptu interview well, I may not have answered his questions well enough.
But he did say he will sit down to chat with the two other interviewers and then get back to me.
And he said probably the HR will do the informing.

After sharing this experience with a couple of friends (one of whom had been working in there), they had said it's as good as saying I've got the job.
But I beg to differ.
Maybe it's because the most recent job I had left has taught me 2 things:

* whatever is being said verbally could be interpreted in several ways, and
* that unless it's written down in black and white, anything said may be as good as the words have never been uttered before.

So, we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home