Thursday, August 25, 2005

Upside Down or Right Side Up?

Lots of things have happened in the last week or so.
That's why I've seemingly 'disappeared' till now.
I've been on an overseas business trip for one.
And for the other, although not really wanting to announce this in particular, I've decided to quit my current job.
Basically, I can't really see this job taking me very far, especially when my boss(es) cannot see the reason why it is difficult to get 'free' money from other organisations in order to support our noble aims.
This happens to be part of my job responsibility.
And because there is insufficient funds to keep me on a full-time job, a contract change has been requested from a full-time to a part-time engagement.
This means that the organisation is going to adopt this business strategy to sustain its business.
With this change will come instability.
That makes me rather uncomfortable.
So that's the gist of it.

I've also been talking to a friend about a potential business idea that is so cool that even I got excited when it was shared with me!
Anyway, since that discussion, I'm wondering if all this has happened for the better or for the worse.
I will only find out when everything starts happening for real, I suppose.

In parallel with all this change in my life, a dear friend is also going through lots of changes.
First it was signing up for a drawing class, in order to develop his drawing skills properly (he's good by the way!).
Then it was pooling in money with another family, and buying a house to live together.
As if that was not exciting enough, he went and became a silent business partner on top of holding a full-time job.
He is indeed going places in his life.
And it must have taken a lot of courage to get to this point!

In my case, I am viewing my next phase of life with trepidation and excitement.
I haven't felt this 'kick' since I decided to give up on my career which was about to go places, and instead, to take up a scholarship for my postgraduate studies over 4 years ago.
I have also secured new friendships on my last business trip - a bonus indeed!
Knowing that I will be leaving my current job soon, it became a more meaningful trip for me.
Although I was totally professional about my pending job departure and had not mentioned it to anyone on this last trip, at least I could leave knowing that I have been appreciated for who I am.
The knowledge that I have earned the respect of people in a work situation, people whom I had not met previously and only met in a short couple of days, made me happily contented.

NOW I finally understand why I was deprived of a previous trip on another occasion for a similar project by our business partner who hired our services.
That lady-boss (whom I used to freelance for) didn't want me to come into contact with her business associates - for fear that probably in the future, she would lose out by having me around.
Unfortunately for her, my boss kicked up such a huge fuss the last time that this time around, she hadn't put up any protest whatsoever.
Hence the new friendships that I had managed to pack into my last business trip.
Ahhhhh....you got it too!
Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home