Sunday, August 14, 2005

Another year younger

Today is a somewhat special day for me.
I am officially adding another year to my age.
I do admit I can't escape the chronological aspect of getting older.
Yet, I was told by a friend whom I saw at my birthday gathering last night that I in fact look younger than the last time when we met up a few months ago.
"Maybe it's the hair," she said.
Well, maybe.
Instead of having it straight, I decided to scrunch it to make my hair wavy for a change.
I would classify my look last night as 'gypsy' in style: white top, heavily crinkled skirt, hoop earrings - the lot.

Oh, about last night.
I decided to gather as many friends as possible at my favourite watering hole.
Although I have many friends, I narrowed the list down to about 15 (maximum 20) initially.
But realistically, I told myself I would be lucky if I managed to get 10 of my friends to attend this little 'do'.
Especially with everyone's hectic lifestyle and all.
So I was happy that I did get 10 people turning up.
We started with Champagne and cake cutting, followed by red and white wine being served.
And may I add that there were 2 cakes bought for me (as a very practical birthday gift) by a generous friend! :o)
2 cakes - because 1 was for the guests, and the other little one was for the management staff of the watering hole.
They were very attentive and helpful throughout the night, which included cutting up the cake and serving my guests!

I was initially worried that some of my friends might not get on well with one another, as I was the only link.
But, everyone got on so well that they were keen to go clubbing afterwards!
One of my friends suggested that we should re-visit the squids again.
You know, the ones that I was playing with the other time.
There was only 1 squid left in the tank and it was sleeping.
And since the last time I saw it, it had grown to double its former size!
I hope the other missing one did not pass on into the next world because of my excessive teasing the other time.

Anyway, partying ended in the early hours of the morning.
I don't recall having had a birthday celebration with friends other than when I turned 21, and last year (with 2 friends married to each other - they cooked me a meal!), when I was still in the UK.
The rest of the previous birthdays were mostly spent at home with my family (even when I was in the UK, I got to come home for my holiday break around the same time).
So last night was rather special.
And the company was great (although if the rest had turned up, it would have been most ideal)!

BUT, among all the lovely presents that I have received (all appreciated!), nothing compares to the fact that I continue to be blessed with wonderful friends and family, of course. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home