Saturday, June 11, 2005

Bummer

I've been having stomach upsets the whole of today, and it was a blessing in disguise when 2 of my friends decided that they won't be joining my girlfriend and me for a Salsa promotional event earlier this evening.
It was due to the fact that they both weren't able to make the start of the promo concert, which was the main reason why we were going in the first place.

A couple of hours after that notification, the sky went dark, and I could hear thunder sounding in a distance come dinnertime.
So I rang my girlfriend, and asked her if she still fancied venturing out to attend the promotional event (I kinda hinted that I wasn't).
I didn't tell her about my stomach upset problem, but I was relieved that she also said she was feeling a little tired.
So we decided not to go.

I ended up viewing an interesting blogsite that 'promoted' an SPG.
SPG stands for 'Sarong Party Girl'.
In the Singaporean context, it refers to local ladies who have a preference for foreign men as opposed to the local men.
This lady is only 19.
She writes well, is obviously intelligent, but I feel that the explicit descriptions about herself and her constant, promiscuous activities with various men whom she knows (she maintains she's not into one-night-stands) may be a bit too revealing.
Especially when this little island is still considerably conservative to a certain extent.
Anyway, the reason why her blogsite was mentioned in today's papers was because this young lady has posted nude pictures of herself on her blogsite.
These pictures were professionally and tastefully done, no doubt.
But still, out of the number of blogs I've read at random, they have one thing in common mentioned repeatedly - all the men she has slept with kept saying how beautiful she is, how great her body is, etc. etc.

And for your information, she says she is 1.5m tall.
So that means one should assume that from the many men who has hit on her (or so she says) and the ones she has slept with, she must have a very proportionate body.
Well, I took a close look at one of her photos (a more decently covered one, but still scantily clad).
She has short, muscular legs (big thighs too, I've noticed) that she said she has, from all the running she does daily.

My conclusion?
There are far more attractive local women than what she has made herself out to be.
And women who are confident about themselves and their own looks would not keep repeating how beautiful they have been told they are, by others!
That's because they KNOW they are beautiful.
So no need to TELL people that fact - they can see and judge for themselves.
In what little psychology that I know, people who tend to repeatedly recount compliments they have received from others do it as a form of reassurance.
And that stems for being insecure about themselves.

BUT, the saddest thing (I feel) relates to this young lady's parents.
They appear to have brought her up well - or thought they have.
What would their reaction be if other people recognise their daughter's face after today's news-posting about her?
And since she's now waiting to enter university, how would she feel given 3, 4 years down the road when she is more grown-up and mature?
I shudder to think.
I simply wish her luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home