Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Extended weekend in Bangkok/My Mother

Last Friday was a hectic day for me.
I was trying to clear work so that I could enjoy my shopping trip to Bangkok for the extended weekend.
I was there for Sat till Monday, as Monday was a public holiday in Singapore.
It was Vesak Day (a public holiday in lieu), and I decided some weeks back that it would be nice to make use of the three days to travel.

I took my mother with me, as I have never travelled with her before - ever.
Well, at least not beyond Malaysian shores, where her side of the family resides.
So it was a novelty for us both, not to mention being able to have my sister-in-law joining us as well.
It was also a first for me - travelling with my sister-in-law.
All that was the upside to things.

On the downside, my mother had a bad case of flu during the trip, and that stressed me out quite a bit.
But the stress already started before.
==================================================
Stress Number 1:
On Friday, I offered to take care of my mother's packing for the trip, as we shared a small suitcase.
So being a non-experienced traveller, my mother brought all the things that she thought she would need; things that added much weight when I had hoped we could travel light.
But I obliged.

Stress Number 2:
During the trip, whilst some of her demands were unreasonable, I had to take into consideration that my mother hardly travelled, so wasn't as accommodating as my sister-in-law or me.
That is not to mention she could be feeling frustrated for not being well.

SO, on a number of occasions, I tried to be patient with her when she grumbled.
But on some others, when she insisted on doing something that I knew she wouldn't be able to handle, I had to be firm and at times a little rude to her too.
Just so that she would give in!

Stress Number 3:
I was initially worried that my mother would take things to heart and ignore me for the rest of the trip.

So I was particularly surprised when my mother actually forgot about the previous arguments, and spoke to me within a short time afterwards!
I'm secretly happy that my mother is no longer so uptight about things.
Perhaps my generally easygoing attitude has now rubbed off on her too.
==================================================

All being said, my mother was brave to say she was fine repeatedly throughout the trip, even though she really wasn't (I could tell).
She didn't want to deprive my sister-in-law and myself from the shopping we had eagerly looked forward to.
I really take my hat off to her for her selfless atttitude.
She had a bad case of flu that had her nose running as if on tap, to the extent that the skin was raw from clearing the nasal passage with numerous packets of tissue!

I still have A LOT to learn...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home