Saturday, March 19, 2005

TGIF

Friday has been an interesting day.

Had to head down to my former work place to hold a long-distance conference call with an ex-colleague there and one of my current bosses.
However, this time, I act as a representative for my current organisation.

It was a good session, as together, we were able to identify some practical issues related to a common project that we are working on.
It is comforting to know that my years of experience on my previous job (prior to my doctoral studies) have reflected how much I have learnt on that job.
Again, it has further helped to reassure me that I have picked the right job as opposed to the corporate one!

One ex-colleague was questioning why I decided not to join his company.
He thought I was starting work the other day, when he was asked to hook up a computer for me on the day I was piled with additional responsibilities.

I just gave a polite answer.
I could have said much more.
In fact, I WOULD have said a lot more if it were a few years ago, when I was much younger.
But, I have learnt that talking too much about something is not necessarily going to do much (or any) good.
I do not want to invite sympathy.
That is not my style nowadays.

I had the conference call after my work-hours (was there for 6 pm).
Afterwards, I stayed behind to wait for my 2 other colleagues to finish work and have dinner and social drinks with them.
They are now dear friends of mine, after mutually discovering that we ALL have be ill-treated by 'you-know-who'.
Word has got around in the office how much I was initially offered for my work-hours.
And that was despite the fact that I have been keeping this matter to myself all this time.
And by keeping things under wraps, I have won at least a couple more friendships in the process.
That is definitely a more meaningful gain than money!

Anyway, it was a good night out.
My friends and I shared our experience and what little we know about things that happened at the work place, and boy, it was mind-blowing!
All I can say is: my former employer is really 'losing it'...

My poor friends even dread checking their emails or getting phone calls over the weekend now.
They appeared to have been consistently bombarded with emails and/or phone calls from 'you-know-who' - even at weekends!
They are also not looking forward to this coming new week.
'You-know-who' is going to be back in town from a business trip...

Yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home