Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Kena "duah" ("bitten" beyond belief)

I was asked to attend a meeting back at the office first thing this morning.
This was for another project that I thought was a straightforward one.
I had started working on this for my friend since Day One, without any thought that I should negotiate my paying-rate as a freelance consultant.
[All this was because I was a showing a gesture of goodwill...all for the sake of friendship.]

Thinking that I had completed my designated job scope (unfortunately agreed only verbally), I was surprised with additional tasks and responsibilities.
In fact, I was asked to stay on at the office (I tend to clock my work hours religiously at home) after the meeting - something I had not expected.
I would have thought the professional thing to do would be to inform me - in advance - that I might be expected to stay on to work that day, if the need arose.
Not to be told at the very last minute!

Anyway, my boss and I tried starting on the additional work that she was hoping I would take on.
Unfortunately, she said she had a lunch-meeting after working with me for about 10 minutes.

Having made plans for lunch myself, I offered to work from home after my lunch appointment.
After all, this has been what I had been doing up till now.
I also promised to deliver the "goods" for the end of the day, for her review (fair suggestion, you would have thought).
Now, although I have faith that I was able to deliver a reasonably high standard of work, I was aware that I might be spending all that time working on the additional task, only to have my boss re-work on it all over again.

Being the considerate one (and on the off-chance that the output may not be what my boss was expecting in the end), I told her perhaps it may be more productive if she took over this additional task (which I had not expected to do anyway).
I also took into consideration that this additional task has to be completed by the end of this week, which means it could be counter-productive if 2 people were to work on the same thing twice (such an ability to think much further ahead is all thanks to my research studies).

Alas, my boss took it the wrong way.
Not only that, she said it sounded as if I was not prepared to work on this project full-time - which I had up till that day!
[Since then, someone had informed me that she said to everyone else at the office (but not to me, of course) that I had "abandoned" the project.]

After the meeting, I finally decided it was time to broach the subject of pay for two jobs that I have done (including this one).
Bad-timing - it was the only chance since I started working on at the beginning of this year - but it had to be done.
I was asked to let her mull over the rate, since my boss said this was her first "expert" hire...(stay tuned)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home