Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Back from Bangkok

Hope I haven't been missed since last Sunday. ;o)

Just got back from a business trip to Bangkok in the last hour.
Was there helping to conduct interview for a project that I will be driving from the month of April.
Also met up with a new business associate - a new university lecturer working in one of Thailand's oldest universities.
She is really nice - and I may have found a new friend in her.

It was an interesting trip.
Finally decided to disclose (without naming names) the events that had happened to me in my previous freelance work to my mentor on this trip.
He seemed understanding enough, and told me it's a "jungle" out there.
He told me he had several of such similar incidents happening to him too, previously.
But I was sure he was shocked to hear how much I was offered at the per-hourly rate for my previous services rendered, although there were no giveaway signs.
He said I should not be wasting time and should not allow myself to be affected by those unhappy events any further.
And that I should channel my energies into focusing on what lies ahead in the future.
To sum it up nicely, he said, "in life, sh** happens". Ha.

As I get to know my mentor a little bit more, I start to realise that he is not just a highly intelligent man and a total workaholic.
His eccentricities (like always asking strangers how they are and having sudden outbursts), are ways that he tries to de-stress himself.
And it is also a brilliant way to catch people off-guard.
Especially people who may not be naturally friendly.

It's amazing that he can be totally focused on his work on his laptop one minute, and then becomes "mad" the next.
Will I become like him as time goes on?
God knows.

Am off to Kuala Lumpur (again) this coming Thursday for the day.
And then it is to Jakarta next week.
Again business meetings!

One good thing to come out of all this is the continued clocking of my airmiles.
I was only recently upgraded to "Silver" card member from an ordinary one, for having flown to and from the UK regularly with a particular airline in the time I was doing my doctoral studies.
At the rate I am going, I will become their "Gold" card member soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home